Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sewn fabric book, otherwise known as my OBRA MAESTRA

It has been a dream of mine to write and illustrate a childrens book for my little ones for years and years now. Alas, I would write out the text, and never feel the impetus, the inspiration or the time in my busy life to really commit to it, until last winter, this past awful winter, when somehow the first page became christal clear to me, and making it out of crochet, embroidery, ribbon, yarn and colorful fabric felt like the perfect medium.  As we are all, always homesick for our island home, thats what i wanted to create and illustrate for them, a celebration of all  the beauty that is there.
Bear with me, there are LOTS of photos, and big, so the stitches and details are hopefully more visible for those of you interested.
Surprisingly it was quite difficult to photograph, giving it perspectivve, and staying true to size, colors and textures.
Front cover:


First page: 
Page number two


Page number three

Page number four


Page number five


Page number six


back inscription
Back and last page
You cant imagine how paintstaking it all was, from choosing backgrounds, layout, figuring out how to give perspective, which pieces should be sewn over or under, carefully cutting to size by eye, making borders match, the amount of detailing with embroidery and crochet, creating the raised effect on the little girls braids and the jellyfish, hemming,,and more and  more. Every scene and every creature and flower and landscape is purely created freehand by the power of my own imagination. No forms or templates

This project was really different for me, partly because I am completely self taught when it comes to sewing, and through the process of making this book i had to really stretch myself, and for the machine sewn parts, learn how to work this new machine all on my own,
partly because I am an instant gratification kind of girl, and having to go back to this over and over for months, doing details, re-working, planning, just finishing, was a huge lesson in following through, in consistency, in finding inspiration again when the quick flame was spent, I kept having to re-commit to it, and  eventually mold a beautiful thing.

And it was so worth it.

I hope my children thinks so too, and feel the love and celebration of them, and their island home in every stitch.

Happy Thursday











3 comments:

  1. It just makes me cry, it is so lovely and delightful.No words as to how much more over time it will come to mean for them.Bravissima!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...just WOW~! It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! What an incredible keepsake of their time on their island home and of their mama!

    ReplyDelete