Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Some thoughts on kids clothes

Let me just preface with the fact that Imani has loaaades of them....
 
I suppose I feel a certain entitlement dressing my girl well, given she's my ONLY one (thats what i tell myself anyway).
Since  I am asked a lot about their clothing, I thought i would share some basics on what i feeel is important when dressing your kids, and if you are one of those parents that could care less about that kind of thing, this post is not for you! lol (note: this is NOT about spending lots of money, I am a big thrifter)

-If you like pink for your girl, great! but remember there are LOTS of diff shades of it then just hot pink or fuschia, my personal favorite is salmon or coral pink.

-Boys: I personally detest all sports Logo's, numbers, team insignia, monsters, cartoons batman superman  dinosaurs etc, you get the idea, play with patterns and prints instead. I like stripes a lot, solids in cool and alternative colors, boy clothes do NOT need to be all navy blues, dark reds, greys, and dark greens, ugh. Try mustard, aqua, deep purple (yes, looks awesome on boys) orangish reds, teal, browns  (huge huge fav) earth tones (esp. on darker skinned kids) and pastels.I like mandarin collars on boys.

-Pants : am a fan of the skinny, or narrower pants for boys, Z has a pair in red, mustard, 2 vibrant blues, brown and some cool orange/rust colored sweates (i like sweats that taper at the bottom for boys) for girls I do like skinny jeans under dresses or tunics, also flared leggings (think Naartije) and jersey leggings.

- Bright strong colors and prints on baby's! I am just so over the pastels for little ones. even our baby blankets were bold cheerful african prints. I also like black on baby's, so there!

-Celebrate  culture! I personally love ethnic prints and fabrics of all kinds, exotic tunics, embroidery,crochet detailing ,indian fabric, mod prints. Anything RED GOLD AND GREEN (mama Africa!)  and again, really vibrant colors.

-No writing  (no "daddy's little princess, auntie's fav. boy" etcc) although i made exceptions for cool globally themed quotes, like PEACE and stuff. lol

-Personal likes: hats! love em in any incarnation, little boots on girls, leather shoes on all kids, real wool, anything handmade, I  like tutu's ♥ esp over pants.Mary Jane shoes,organic cottons, linen shirts on little boys, the list goes on...

- Personal dislikes on kids: plastic sneakers (sigh..) floral prints, vests (not jacket vests, those are fine) glitter sequins or rhinestones of any kind, plaid,  polyester, no matter how cute the item, thats a dealbreaker, sweatshirts, fleece, neons, flesh toned pink, certain tacky animal prints and again, logo's and writing.

Whew, opinianated enough for ya? and dont worry, my kids beg to wear all the things on my dislike list daily.

Care for some hand me downs?


1 comment:

  1. Well Ok then Mama! Start a clothing line Please! I love this post,strong women have strong opinions......more power to you and your beautifully dressed children xxxx

    ReplyDelete