Sunday, October 19, 2014

Flea market successes

I love everything about flea markets, 
the musty smell, the piles of things everywhere, the quirky people who browse them, the tangible feeling that you are are walking among pieces of history, objects that belonged to, and meant something to people long ago. I often feel that I am back in my gradfathers carriage house, once again fingering and exploring his vintage belongings, it is totally comforting. 
I also happen to live within walking distance of two great ones, and I try to visit them at least a couple of times a month, as my children really enjoy them too.
 There is a fullness to the experience, exactly the opposite say, of walking down the plastic smelling, neon lit hallways of Target in your nearest strip mall.
Sometimes I browse the flea markets for a specific need, a piece of furniture, a doily for a project, but often I wander through, waiting to be surprised, and occasionally  I simply fall in love with something, it speaks to me deeply for no reason at all.
 Such was the case with this amazing wall art peace, it is from mexico, is entirely hand embroidered on blue burlap canvas, and the gaiety it conveyed, as well as the richness of its colors had me transfixed, I tried to put it down, i really did, but thankfully it made it home with me, for a song,
 15$, and found its home on the boys bedroom wall



I painted its wooden frame white, and there it hangs now.
Have you fallen in love with something at a flea market?
Happy Monday



No comments:

Post a Comment