Monday, December 1, 2014

Lotions and Potions

If I had to pick a very favorite flower, or plant, it would certainly be Calendula, it speaks to me, the bright vibrant sunshiney yellow,the delicate smell, the juiciness of its bright green leaves, the softness of its petals, its resilience in re-seeding itself, and not in a nuisancey kind of way.
It whispers its medicine to me, and I have always listened.
This past late summer I picked handfuls at my father and aunts gardens, then double boiler simmered them in coconut oil for hours, the result was a deep yellow healing oil, ready to be made into salve.
I finally got around to making it yesterday.

I used Imani's watercolor paintings, studies in yellow and gold for the labels,  so perfect!
and wooden block stamps
It turned out runnier then i wanted, but wonderfully rich and healing non the less
scented with oils of lemon and geranium
then, because I am crazy like that, I made pots of home made vics vaporub, with oils of rosmary, eucalyptus and peppermint, perfect for little colds and chests

Now the question is:
which one will YOU be getting for Christmas?
Happy Tuesday!



1 comment:

  1. Good Memories! Do you remember making mint lotion? And chapstick? And going to safeway to buy the giant box of borax?

    ReplyDelete