Monday, December 15, 2014

St Lucia

Friday was St Lucia celebration in Imani's little first grade,
 it is such a memorable event in the minds of young Waldorf students, I remember it vividly from my own first grade, I wanted so badly to be St Lucia and get to wear the crown of real live candles on my head, I mean come on! my name was actually Lucia after all. 
Alas the honor was bestowed to Emily, the eldest girl in the class, as is tradition.
It is a beautiful little celebration, with the children dressed in white and red, walking from classroom to classroom singing Saanta Luciaaa and passing out sweet saffron buns and tea.

The night treads heavily
around yards and dwellings
In places unreached by sun,
the shadows brood
Into our dark house she comes,
bearing lighted candles,
Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia.



Happy Monday



1 comment:

  1. LOVE! How well I remember first grade and St. Lucia day... Dara got to wear the candles since she was the oldest. I have always loved St. Lucia day ever since!

    ReplyDelete